Paradoxes and Problems

Monday, April 11, 2005

Happy Anniversary Part 2 of 5 

Dave and I had an interesting first year of marriage. Sometimes it was fun, and sometimes it was really, really not fun. Our second year of marriage turned into sometimes it's really fun, and once in a while it's not fun. Progress, you gotta love it.

There began one of my many misconceptions of marriage. I thought the first year would be great, then the subsequent years would get more difficult. I couldn't have been more wrong. The first year was hard. It had to do with our own idiosyncrasies that we brought into the whole arrangement. I would freak out every time Dave was crabby and in a bad mood. Seriously, anyone who has an opportunity/obligation to spend every minute of their free time with me should always be on cloud 9, right? Yeah, right.

And Dave had a problem with me going out with others instead of spending time with him. He'd feel hurt and rejected.

We both recognized that these were problems and began working on them. Of course, Dave is kicking my butt to the point where his issue is barely even a problem anymore. Show off. I can still totally take him in a knock-down, drag-out badminton match, though.

Now, here's part 2 in the Fifty Things I Love About My Husband.
11) Even though he hates doing yard work, he still does it because I hate it even more.
12) He's naturally great with kids.
13) He encourages me with kids even though I'm not naturally good with them.
14) He laughs uproariously at Adam Sandler and Buster Keaton movies.
15) He's not ashamed to admit that he likes romantic comedy movies.
16) He loves God.
17) He gets along well with my family.
18) He gets along well with his family.
19) He's great with animals.
20) He's fearless at trying most new things.

Next 10 coming soon ...
Posted by Kelly @ 8:54 AM

Comments:

You're absolutely right. The first year I was married, I really thought we wouldn't make it. Awful. Painful. Scary. And so much happened to make it even worse. Cut to eight years later...
Thanks Kristine. I'm glad to hear we weren't the only ones to go through a bumpy first year.
D. and I are the poster children for bumpy starts. Surgery, unemployment, bankruptcy, blended family nightmares.

We woke up on our first anniversary with her stuff packed and ready to move out.

Yet we're still together. God's grace, plain and simple.

Looking forward to hearing AND sharing how much better things are in the years to come.
Drake: Wow, that is amazing. Dave and I going into it with lots of plusses on our side still had a rough time with it. I can't imagine getting through it with all those strikes. Definitely God's will and grace.
Kelly, I love your first 20---this man is a dream. Dave and I had five great years and our sixth year was hell; we were either really, really accommodating or really, really slow. The next 25 were great though, and we're counting on tearing the hell out of the next 25, now that we're both at home again. My euphemism for "retired."
Lorna:

You know the joys of having a good Dave by your side. I'm happy to say that writing the list of things I love is proving much easier then maintaining my mental list of the things I can't stand.

So, the sixth year got ya? I'll have to watch that one. Here's to your next 25 years, and congratulations.
invisible