More Black Friday Tales
Wendy has a Black Friday recap at her blog. Here are my experiences. I don't have a car right now so I had to bum a ride off Dave, who was going to work and had to be there at 4:30. Best Buy is almost right next to his store, and when we got there at 4:20 the line was hundreds of people deep. I didn't want to stand out in the cold too long (already had a tickle in my throat and didn't want it to turn into a full blown cold), so I stayed in the car until 4:55. When I got in line I was around some very nice people and we all were having a good time. What I didn't know is the chaos that was going down at the front of the line. People had been there since 9 last night. I guess when the store opened at 5, some big guy got out of his car and tried to stride right through the door. A fight broke out and I hope he wasn't allowed in. I was kinda sad that I missed seeing the whole ordeal. It's so stupid that some people are like that, because most of the people are really nice on Black Friday (both the customers and the workers).
So, I was in the second batch of people to get into the store, and I picked up both seasons of Arrested Development and a pack of CD-Rs. I waited in line for 40 minutes, and the slightly annoying lady in front of me let me know that I was insane to not be getting anything more expensive. I didn't explain to her that I do this whether I'm getting a big ticket item or not, just because I want to see and experience the craziness. She and her shopping companion kept me pretty well amused, though with their conversations. She kept sending him out of line to get her more stuff, and one time she sent him for these deeply on sale Scandisk MP3 players. When he came back, she said "These are for my kids" and he replied "But don't they want iPods?". Her response: "Oh, they don't know what iPods are. To them, these are iPods." (She's wagging the mp3 players around big time at this point.) I almost laughed out loud. She's in for a big surprise Christmas morning. I'm all for not buying your kids iPods, because I think they're way too expensive for a kid, but never think your kid is stupid with it comes to gadgets. They know exactly what's what.
When I left the store at 6, there was still a line of people waiting to get into the store.
At this point I met up with my parents for breakfast. We then went to the mall where they got a DVD recorder for $88 (Bargain of the day!), I bought some clothes, we found a Dave gift for my parents and I got some good ideas for gifts for other people (those weren't on sale, though, so I gotta find them for a better deal). Then we went to Target, where the parking lot was really packed, but 80% of the people were occupying just two sections of the store: toys and electronics. If you stayed out of those areas, the store was really nice to shop in. I picked up several items I was needing, and looked around at lots of different stuff. We did lunch, then I went home for an hour to let Max out, then it was back out to meet Dave and my folks for the 4:00 Harry Potter show. It was a full day, and I was a bit sore and beat by the time I got home, but it was lots of fun.
Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
So, I was in the second batch of people to get into the store, and I picked up both seasons of Arrested Development and a pack of CD-Rs. I waited in line for 40 minutes, and the slightly annoying lady in front of me let me know that I was insane to not be getting anything more expensive. I didn't explain to her that I do this whether I'm getting a big ticket item or not, just because I want to see and experience the craziness. She and her shopping companion kept me pretty well amused, though with their conversations. She kept sending him out of line to get her more stuff, and one time she sent him for these deeply on sale Scandisk MP3 players. When he came back, she said "These are for my kids" and he replied "But don't they want iPods?". Her response: "Oh, they don't know what iPods are. To them, these are iPods." (She's wagging the mp3 players around big time at this point.) I almost laughed out loud. She's in for a big surprise Christmas morning. I'm all for not buying your kids iPods, because I think they're way too expensive for a kid, but never think your kid is stupid with it comes to gadgets. They know exactly what's what.
When I left the store at 6, there was still a line of people waiting to get into the store.
At this point I met up with my parents for breakfast. We then went to the mall where they got a DVD recorder for $88 (Bargain of the day!), I bought some clothes, we found a Dave gift for my parents and I got some good ideas for gifts for other people (those weren't on sale, though, so I gotta find them for a better deal). Then we went to Target, where the parking lot was really packed, but 80% of the people were occupying just two sections of the store: toys and electronics. If you stayed out of those areas, the store was really nice to shop in. I picked up several items I was needing, and looked around at lots of different stuff. We did lunch, then I went home for an hour to let Max out, then it was back out to meet Dave and my folks for the 4:00 Harry Potter show. It was a full day, and I was a bit sore and beat by the time I got home, but it was lots of fun.
Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Comments:
Post a Comment
I was so surprised when I came to the line about meeting your parents for breakfast! I didn't really believe that people line up for a 5 o'clock AM store opening. Still it sounds like a nice day---expecially the Harry Potter movie. Dave is in drudge mode and we're not seeing movies lately. I'm going to have to practice that pathetic look that sometimes works, or else go on my own.
Some of us were busy SLEEPING while you mad house-elves were looting and pillaging. =) Right now, I can't ever see myself doing anything remotely like this. The last time I was up at 4:30AM, I was STILL UP from the day before. :)
Nevertheless, sounds like a good day!
Nevertheless, sounds like a good day!
