Oh, come ON now ...
I learned a new word yesterday. We were playing a game of Balderdash, and one challenge was to make up definitions for the word "Deipnophobia". The real definition is "a fear of dinner parties and dinner conversation". As a person who has experienced varying degrees of social anxiety, I'm usually sensitive to these thing, but I must say GIVE ME A BREAK. A fear of dinner conversation? What, they're OK with every other type of conversation? It's just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If this isn't proof positive that the psychiatric industry is out of control I don't know what is. And it really stinks, especially for people that truly need help.
Comments:
Post a Comment
have you caught blogphobia yet? I hear it's going around and is very contagious.
T.W.J., or The Write Jerryphobia, is also a fairly common ailment. Personally, I have acronymophobia, and cringe every time I sign my nom de web. ;)
Isn't that the best game? We like Cranium too, but beware Boggle. It might be OK for you, but Dave and I were playing it while I was in labour, and he wouldn't let me win....26 years, and I still boil!
Lorna: I LOVE Boggle. I almost bought that for Sunday, but decided to go with Upwords instead. I've been wanting to play a lot of games from my teenage years, for some reason.
Balderdash is so much fun, but I hate the Initials category. I like when the real answers are funnier than the made up ones.
Oh yes, Cranium is also a lot of fun. The sculpting especially gets interesting.
Balderdash is so much fun, but I hate the Initials category. I like when the real answers are funnier than the made up ones.
Oh yes, Cranium is also a lot of fun. The sculpting especially gets interesting.
I remember joining a church one time. All of us who were joining were gathered in the library, and one of the pastors was talking to us about being social, making friends, and things like that. He really stressed eating together. He said people naturally loosen up when they eat, and it makes it easier to talk to people.
I remember thinking the whole while that it was exactly the opposite for me. For some reason I find conversation to be far more difficult and awkward when eating than when not eating.
I remember thinking the whole while that it was exactly the opposite for me. For some reason I find conversation to be far more difficult and awkward when eating than when not eating.
Hi Sam: I have no doubt that some people find conversation more difficult while eating. But would you classify what you have as a fear of dinner conversation? Or do you think it's completely a mental thing? Because I could think of many reasons for a person not to enjoy dinner conversation, but none of them are a psychological condition.
But would you classify what you have as a fear of dinner conversation? Or do you think it's completely a mental thing?
Aren't all fears mental things? Fears aren't physical things, after all. :-) What does a fear look like? Can you put it in a jar? How much do fears weigh?
I'm just being silly. I would probably just call it a quirk. I do have social anxiety, but the situations that make me uncomfortable are simply not the same as what makes other people uncomfortable, and what makes other people uncomfortable doesn't always make me uncomfortable.
Aren't all fears mental things? Fears aren't physical things, after all. :-) What does a fear look like? Can you put it in a jar? How much do fears weigh?
I'm just being silly. I would probably just call it a quirk. I do have social anxiety, but the situations that make me uncomfortable are simply not the same as what makes other people uncomfortable, and what makes other people uncomfortable doesn't always make me uncomfortable.
I have a fear of getting spaghetti sauce on my chin when I'm eating with cute girls. I wonder what that's called.
