Paradoxes and Problems

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Feeling hot, hot, hot 

Ah, summer. How I detest thee. I hate the bugs, and the yardwork, and (especially) the heat. So, a month ago, I was non too pleased when I figured out my car's A/C was not working. I took it to Sear's for an oil change and asked them to fix the A/C while they were at it. They recharged it. For $100. I was non too pleased when I realized that the A/C was still not working. So, I took it to my regular mechanic, a good guy who keeps trying some things and is not charging me until he figures out what's going to really fix it. I'm non too pleased that he still hasn't found the right thing to fix it. (Not his fault ... I have a well-used car and things are going to bonk out here and there and not be easy to fix.)

But here's the thing that really doesn't please me. With all my complaining, I'm really starting to feel like a wimp. It wasn't that long ago that nobody had A/C anywhere. None at work, none at home, none in the car. And they survived just fine. As a matter of fact, my family didn't have it until I was in my teens. When it got too hot we slept downstairs on the floor with a good many fans blowing around. If I remember correctly we didn't have it at school either. And I'm complaining about 40 minutes without A/C in a car?

So I've decided to not get the air conditioning fixed. I'll be going through the summer in the hot humid Pittsburgh area while in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy.

Any bets on how long it'll take before I wimp out of this resolve?
Posted by Kelly @ 7:27 AM

Comments:

A/C is essential. You are not a wimp!
I clicked the comments mostly to see if my wife had beaten me here and left a comment about how much she hates hot weather. We washed and waxed our minivan yesterday. Yes, it was a hot day, but honestly... from the complaining, you'd think she was being forced to wash and wax an aircraft carrier in Hell.

Having said all that, we have central air and I admit that I would rather have my toenails removed with these than go back to life without it.
I haven't had AC in my car for about 7 years now. Not sure what's wrong with it but if my dad couldn't fix it, it can't be fixed. I've never had AC in my house; it's one of those things like cable or microwaves that my parents never caved and got because the rest of the world had it; too many people give in to getting things they don't really need because 'everybody else is doing it".

That being said, I really appreciate working in an air conditioned office and last Summer especially opening windows, turning on the ceiling fan in the living room, and aiming a small fan at myself in my room at home just wasn't cutting it on some of those 90-100 degree days. I feel like a wimp too, like I should adapt to endure it and using AC lowers my resistance to extreme heat and increases my probability to gain weight. Just look at Jerry...;)

I think you'd get a pass with the pregnancy though and no one would judge you for fixing the AC.
Wendy: I'm with you on hot weather. Being whiny is the only valid way to deal with it.

That being said, I drove home in the heat yesterday, and even grocery shopped and loaded and unloaded my car. It was over 90 yesterday and I found that it wasn't too unbearable. I really think I'll be OK.

MCF: Well, that certainly put things in perspective for me. When I didn't have A/C anywhere I was absolutely miserable. As long as I have it in my house I can really handle the heat in the car ...
invisible