Paradoxes and Problems

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Blog Party VIII: The Returns 

MCF is throwing a Returns blog party. What are the best things in your life that have returned? he asks.

1) My grandmother - She's been through several scary bouts with various kinds of cancer. But everytime she fights and the cancer goes into regression.

2) My best friend from high school - We grew steadily apart as we went to seperate colleges, then she got married, then moved to Baltimore. But she and her husband and son have recently moved back to Pittsburgh, and we've connected again. Best of all, she's expecting her second child about a month and a half after mine is due. It's great when friendships can be rekindled.

That's about all I can think of. Not many things have been "lost" than "found" in my life, and I hate when they pull that "Oooh, I was dead, now I'm not!" crap with TV and movie characters.

Thanks for hosting a fun party, MCF!
Posted by Kelly @ 5:02 AM

Comments:

I've lost friends at every stage of my life. When I finished elementary school, a girl I was close friends with was sent to a private school and I only spoke to her once on the phone before losing touch forever. When I finished Middle school, I was sent to a private high school and kept in touch with my friends on weekends, only to gradually hear from them less and less. Once I was in college I lost touch with them altogether except for one disasterous gettogether on which they may have ditched me. Around this time I lost touch with my neighborhood friends whom I grew up with. After college I started hearing from my college friends less and less and now only see them once or twice a year. And I haven't seen or heard from my best friend from high school in about 2 years. Long-winded story short, it's nice to hear you were reunited with your friend. My mom had the same experience. When I was a little boy she took to me see a movie at the library. I started talking to this kid and when we went to find our respective mothers, it turned out his mom worked with my mom years ago before she was married, and neither of them had seen each other or spoken in that time. They got caught up and remain in contact today, sometimes spending 4 hours on the phone.

Also glad to hear your grandmother keeps coming back to you. Great entry; thanks for coming to the party!
That's great about your grandmother.
The return of friends/family is probably the sweetest of all.
It's great when friendships that grow apart come back together... and when you're still friends and both parents, you find that you have more appreciation for each other. Great post!
MCF: That's awesome about your mom discovering her old friend!

It is so hard when friendships end. I guess it makes sense that friendships can end just like romantic relationships, though. People just take different directions in life, etc. It seems to be rare but it's so great when we can reconnect.
Kelly, I'm just getting around to reading peoples' posts---I've been worried about my mother, although the news about her cancer is better than we expected: if he chemo works, she may have another few good years.

Nice memories there.
superhero and action/adventure movies are the worst at pulling the "dead-never mind" situations.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com
invisible