35 Movies
35 Movies to beat MCF. Will post my quick thoughts as I finish them.
1. Pulp Fiction - First Tarantino movie I've seen. I liked it much more than I thought I would. I sometimes got the impression that Tarantino was trying to hard to make a hip movie, but overall I thought it was enjoyable. Every movie should have Eric Stoltz as a hippie drug dealer.
2. GoodFellas - This was a fun movie. It moved along fast and it's just plain fun to see Liotta, Pesci, and DeNerio beating the crap outta people. I still think gangsters are lame and boring to watch -- I hated The Godfather -- but the fast pace and great leads made this worth watching.
3. Sin City
4. LA Confidential
5. Taxi Driver
6. Heat
7. Reservoir Dogs - Eh. It was OK, but certainly not good enough to be on any "best of" list, in my opinion.
8. Blade Runner
9. Leon
10. Casablanca
11. Apocalypse Now - It was entertaining enough, but I've never been a fan of war movies. I rented the redux, and I must say it looked FANTASTIC. It is wasn't for the actors I would think it was made this year.
12. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
13. A Clockwork Orange
14. Moulin Rouge!
15. The Wild Bunch
16. Trainspotting
17. Raging Bull
18. City Of God
19. The Thing
20. Scarface (1983)
21. Airplane! - ::sigh:: Can I have that 83 minutes of my life back?
22. Blue Velvet
23. Seven Samurai
24. Lawrence Of Arabia
25. The Searchers
26. Rocky
27. Platoon
28. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 - Are you kidding me? This list is very Tarantino heavy. The only one that is even close to being a "best 100" movie is Pulp Fiction.
29. Magnolia - I see what all the hype is about. This movie was great. That's a whole crapload of great actors, and who would've guessed that John C. Reilly would've been my favorite?
30. The Deer Hunter
31. The Shining
32. Chinatown
33. Requiem For A Dream
34. Brokeback Mountain
35. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
1. Pulp Fiction - First Tarantino movie I've seen. I liked it much more than I thought I would. I sometimes got the impression that Tarantino was trying to hard to make a hip movie, but overall I thought it was enjoyable. Every movie should have Eric Stoltz as a hippie drug dealer.
2. GoodFellas - This was a fun movie. It moved along fast and it's just plain fun to see Liotta, Pesci, and DeNerio beating the crap outta people. I still think gangsters are lame and boring to watch -- I hated The Godfather -- but the fast pace and great leads made this worth watching.
3. Sin City
4. LA Confidential
5. Taxi Driver
6. Heat
7. Reservoir Dogs - Eh. It was OK, but certainly not good enough to be on any "best of" list, in my opinion.
8. Blade Runner
9. Leon
10. Casablanca
11. Apocalypse Now - It was entertaining enough, but I've never been a fan of war movies. I rented the redux, and I must say it looked FANTASTIC. It is wasn't for the actors I would think it was made this year.
12. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
13. A Clockwork Orange
14. Moulin Rouge!
15. The Wild Bunch
16. Trainspotting
17. Raging Bull
18. City Of God
19. The Thing
20. Scarface (1983)
21. Airplane! - ::sigh:: Can I have that 83 minutes of my life back?
22. Blue Velvet
23. Seven Samurai
24. Lawrence Of Arabia
25. The Searchers
26. Rocky
27. Platoon
28. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 - Are you kidding me? This list is very Tarantino heavy. The only one that is even close to being a "best 100" movie is Pulp Fiction.
29. Magnolia - I see what all the hype is about. This movie was great. That's a whole crapload of great actors, and who would've guessed that John C. Reilly would've been my favorite?
30. The Deer Hunter
31. The Shining
32. Chinatown
33. Requiem For A Dream
34. Brokeback Mountain
35. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Comments:
Post a Comment
First Tarantino movie? Really? Wow. I was going to recommend Reservoir Dogs, but it's already on this list.
I saw Magnolia earlier today too. I love those ensemble random connected people films like Crash and Short Cuts. John C. Reilly was great; I didn't expect him to be at first. I think him, the kid on the game show, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were my favorite characters. My brain is exploding with all the symbolism too, and I came across some analysis of the young boy's rap and its significance with the events of the film. There's a line about God bringing down the rain, he calls himself a prophet, and Macy's drunken rant includes some gibberish about mistaking children for angels. I really think I need to watch it again tomorrow, but it's over three hours and emotionally draining at times.
Goodfellas is awesome too. I was bad about seeing that too. In college I loved the Goodfeathers on Animaniacs, and finally in my 20s I rented the movie they were spoofing. Now I want to go back and get all the jokes beyond the obvious Pesci pigeon's, "Am I some kinda clown to you? Do I make you laugh?"
So at the time of this posting, having seen the Exorcist, The Third Man, and Magnolia, I still have 14 movies to go....
I saw Magnolia earlier today too. I love those ensemble random connected people films like Crash and Short Cuts. John C. Reilly was great; I didn't expect him to be at first. I think him, the kid on the game show, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were my favorite characters. My brain is exploding with all the symbolism too, and I came across some analysis of the young boy's rap and its significance with the events of the film. There's a line about God bringing down the rain, he calls himself a prophet, and Macy's drunken rant includes some gibberish about mistaking children for angels. I really think I need to watch it again tomorrow, but it's over three hours and emotionally draining at times.
Goodfellas is awesome too. I was bad about seeing that too. In college I loved the Goodfeathers on Animaniacs, and finally in my 20s I rented the movie they were spoofing. Now I want to go back and get all the jokes beyond the obvious Pesci pigeon's, "Am I some kinda clown to you? Do I make you laugh?"
So at the time of this posting, having seen the Exorcist, The Third Man, and Magnolia, I still have 14 movies to go....
Yay! you've seen Magnolia. Now buy the soundtrack. Wasn't Reilly wonderful, and P S Hoffman too. and THAT is why some people want to give Tom Cruise another chance....
I loved Good Feathers, MCF. It's nice to have an idea of what they were spoofing now.
I just replenished my stock at the video store. Rented Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, and Apocalypse Now.
Lorna: I saw Mission Impossible III in the theater. You don't need to convince me to give Tom Cruise another chance. I think he's a wackjob but as long as I enjoy his acting and characters then I really don't care too much about what he does with his free time as long as it's not stabbing little kids, you know? This goes for all actors.
I just replenished my stock at the video store. Rented Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, and Apocalypse Now.
Lorna: I saw Mission Impossible III in the theater. You don't need to convince me to give Tom Cruise another chance. I think he's a wackjob but as long as I enjoy his acting and characters then I really don't care too much about what he does with his free time as long as it's not stabbing little kids, you know? This goes for all actors.
Eric Stoltz a hippie drug dealer?!?! Must have had to resort to a life of crime after spending all his hard (legally earned) money on that pair of diamond earrings.
If you don't answer your phone today, I guess I know you'll be having another movie marathon.
Do you see what you did, MCF??
If you don't answer your phone today, I guess I know you'll be having another movie marathon.
Do you see what you did, MCF??
Sorry, anonymous. :/
Re: #21; Shirley, you can't be serious?
Re: #21; Shirley, you can't be serious?
Apocalypse Now - ...I rented the redux, and I must say it looked FANTASTIC. ...
I happen to have watched the '79 cut today. I got The Complete Dossier for my birthday and didn't have time for it until today. The extras on the film are really outstanding for fans of the film, and both cuts ('79 and '01) are on the set. I prefer the 2001 Redux version, and I'd recommend it to anyone predisposed to that kind of film. I think it's Coppola's masterpiece. The Ride of the Valkyries sequence is amazing. How in the world did they make that in the pre CGI days? It must have been deadly to shoot that. It's so much more than just an action film, though. Brando's monologue about what it takes to win a war is scary, creepy, honest and terribly upsetting.
I happen to have watched the '79 cut today. I got The Complete Dossier for my birthday and didn't have time for it until today. The extras on the film are really outstanding for fans of the film, and both cuts ('79 and '01) are on the set. I prefer the 2001 Redux version, and I'd recommend it to anyone predisposed to that kind of film. I think it's Coppola's masterpiece. The Ride of the Valkyries sequence is amazing. How in the world did they make that in the pre CGI days? It must have been deadly to shoot that. It's so much more than just an action film, though. Brando's monologue about what it takes to win a war is scary, creepy, honest and terribly upsetting.

